Trial of alleged July unrest instigator postponed to Friday

0
273

15 August 2022

The trial of alleged July unrest instigator Bonginkosi Khanyile has been postponed to Friday to allow him time to expand his legal team and consult with them. This is after Khanyile’s defence team told the court that they needed more time to go over documents that the state handed to them late.

Khanyile was arrested in September for allegedly inciting violence during the unrest in July last year. The unrest saw widespread looting and damage to property, resulting in the death of over 350 people.

Fees Must Fall activist Khanyile’s trial was set down from 15 to 26 August. He is among 19 people who were arrested last year for allegedly instigating violence during the unrest.

He is facing charges of incitement to violence and contravening COVID-19 regulations that prohibited meetings at the time.

During Khanyile’s bail application the state said there is video footage of him allegedly addressing people in different places.

Khanyile is out on bail of R5 000 on the condition that he may not post on his Twitter account. Since the end of last week, the Hawks have arrested another 26 alleged instigators who are said to have worked as a team to incite violence.

Source SABC