The Day of ‘Arafah and its virtues
Cii Radio| Ayesha Ismail| 31 August 2017| 09 Zhul Hijjah 1438
The day of ‘Arafah is the most important day for a Hajee. Whilst only a select few of the Ummah are chosen by Allah Ta’ala to physically be on the plains of ‘Arafat on the 9th of Dhul Hijjah, there are several virtues and deeds mentioned regarding the day of ‘Arafah which apply to those afar as well. Hereunder are ten of them.
The Virtue of the Day
1. The day of ‘Arafah is one of the best days of the year,
Sayyidna Anas (radiyallahu ‘anhu) says:“The day of ‘Arafah equals 10 000 days in virtue”!
(At-Targheeb, vol. 2 pg.200 and Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.460)
2. “On the day of Arafah, Allah frees even those who are not physically in Arafah. Therefore the next day is Eid for all”(Ibn Rajab -rahimahullah in Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.482)
3. The Day of ‘Arafah has also been labelled as “Yawmul Eid” by Sayyiduna ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhu) as it’s the day in which Allah Ta’ala announced the perfection of Islam.(Sahih Bukhari)
Deeds for this Day
4. DO on the Day of ‘Arafah:
2. Recite kalimah shahadah a lot
3. Excessive Du’a
1. Persist on Sin (i.e, make tawbah -repent- from all sins)
2. Be arrogant
These 2 types of people are deprived on this blessed day.
(Ibn Rajab -rahimahullah- in Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.494)
6. Zikr on the Day of ‘Arafah
Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) would recite the following abundantly on the day of Arafah:
Lailaha illallahu wahdahu lasharika lahu lahul mulku walahul hamdu biyadihil khayru wahuwa ‘ala kuli shayin qadir
(Musnad Ahmad; see Majma’uz Zawaid, vol.3 pg.252)
كان أكثر دعاء النبي عليه السلام يوم عرفة
“لاإلٰه إلا الله وحده لا شريك له، له الملك وله الحمد بيده الخير وهو على كل شئ قدير“
7. Sayyiduna ‘Ali’s (radiyallahu ‘anhu) dua on the Day of ‘Arafah
Allahumma a’tiq raqabati minanar wa awsi’li minar rizqil halal, wasrif ‘anni fasaqatil jinni wal ins
Translation: O Allah! Free me from the fire, increase my lawful sustenance, and keep away the transgressive Jin and humans from me.(Ibn Abi Dunya, see Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.494)
:دعاء سيدنا علي رضي الله عنه يوم عرفة
اللهم أعتق رقبتي من النار، وأَوسِعْ لِيْ مِنَ الرّزقِ الحلال، وَاصْرِفْ عني فَسَقة الجن والإنس
–ابن أبي الدنيا
8. “Fasting on the day of Arafah will expiate the sins of the past and future year.”(Sahih Muslim)
9. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said:“He who protects his ears, eyes and tongue on this day (Day of ‘Arafah) will be forgiven” (Musnad Ahmad with a reliable chain, Majma’uz Zawaid, vol.3 pg.251)
10. The day of ‘Arafah is the day when Shaytan is most humiliated (due to Allah’s extensive forgiveness)
(Muwatta Imam Malik, Musnad Ahmad and Ibn Majah, Hadith: 3013)
All of the above will have real significance to us if we implement it and not just share it.
May Allah Ta’ala grant us all the tawfiq (ability) to practice on all the above and may He bless us with repeated opportunities of physically being on the plains of ‘Arafat.
Source – Al Miftah