Latest on Situation at Al-Aqsa: Israel bars young Muslim men before protests
Cii Radio| Ayesha Ismail| 21 July 2017|26 Shawaal 1438
In announcement hours before expected mass protests, police say men under age of 50 will not be allowed at the holy site
Israeli police said on Friday that Muslim men under the age of 50 will not be allowed at al-Aqsa compound, in an announcement made hours ahead of expected mass protests.
Palestinians planned fresh demonstrations over new security measures at the holy site in occupied East Jerusalem, a week after a deadly shoot-out at the compound that triggered tensions.
“Entry to the Old City and Temple Mount will be limited to men aged 50 and over. Women of all ages will be permitted,” a police statement said.
Police swarmed into Jerusalem’s Arab neighborhoods in the morning, particularly in and around the walled Old City where the shrine is located.
Israel’s security cabinet said that Israeli police would decide when to remove metal detectors and turnstiles at the compound installed last week – a disappointing statement to Palestinians who view the measures as collective punishment and infringement of the status quo, which gives Muslims religious control over the compound and Jews the right to visit, but not pray there.
Israel tightened its grip on the compound after two Israeli security officers were killed in an alleged attack by three Palestinians, who were killed by Israeli police following the violence.
Over the past week, there have been daily demonstrations and clashes between Israeli forces and Palestinians.
On Thursday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu received recommendations from different sectors of Israel’s security services on the metal detectors.
Israel’s internal security service, Shin Bet, said the barriers should be removed, while Jerusalem police insisted they stay.
‘Day of anger’
The Palestinian group Hamas and Muslim leaders worldwide have called for mass protests on Friday over the measures.
On Wednesday, Hamas leader Ismail Haniya warned Israel against crossing a “red line” at al-Aqsa Mosque compound.
“To the Zionist enemy, I say openly and clearly: al-Aqsa Mosque and Jerusalem are red lines. Truly they are red lines,” he said.
“To the enemy I say, your policy of closure and imposition of collective punishments against the residents of Jerusalem and our places of sanctity will not be tolerated.”
The Doha-based International Union of Muslim scholars called for all Muslims to show solidarity with worshippers at al-Aqsa in a “day of anger”.
“We call on all Muslims to make this Friday a day of anger against the Zionist actions in Jerusalem and the people residing there,” a statement by the group read.
Earlier this week, Jerusalem’s top Muslim leader called on all of the city’s mosques to close on Friday and encourage worshippers to gather outside the gates of al-Aqsa Mosque for weekly Friday prayers.
Grand Mufti Muhammad Hussein said Palestinian Muslims should instead gather outside the gates of al-Aqsa Mosque for the weekly Friday prayers.
Reporting from occupied East Jerusalem on Friday, Al Jazeera’s Imran Khan said it was “clear Israeli forces don’t want Muslim worshippers” outside Lion’s Gate, one of the entrances to the Old City.
He said Israeli forces pushed about 100 Palestinians from the road leading to the gate and were only allowing residents to enter the Old City.
“The worshippers are very angry,” Khan said.
Israeli forces at various checkpoints had turned away buses carrying Muslim worshippers to Jerusalem from the occupied West Bank and elsewhere, several Palestinians told Al Jazeera.
The wider al-Aqsa compound is known as al-Haram al-Sharif, or the Noble Sanctuary, by Muslims and the Temple Mount by Jews.
Source – Al Jazeera