Press Release – The National Huffadh Association UK #FinsburyParkMosqueAttack
Cii Radio| Ayesha Ismail|19 June 2017| 24 Ramadaan 1438
Assalamu ‘Alaikum Warahmatullahee Wabarakatuh
In light of the tragic and horrific incidents which occurred last night, the National Huffadh Association UK would like to make the following statement:
We are deeply saddened and horrified by the disturbing incident which unfolded last night (Monday 19th June at approximately 00:22 hours outside Finsbury Park Mosque.
Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been affected by last night’s tragic incident. To have targeted innocent Muslims who had just come out of the Taraweeh prayers in the month of Ramadan is cowardly and heartless to say the least.
An attack on one of us is an attack on us all. We need to remain united and stand together to fight Islamophobia.
Nevertheless, we have been in contact with the Met Police teams within Hackney & Islington and have been assured that there will be Uniformed Enforcement Officers to provide a visible presence around Mosques and local Community Centres in Hackney & Islington.
We urge all UK Mosque Committees/Imaams/Community Leaders to get in touch with their local police teams and request visible patrol teams outside Mosques/Community centres especially during the Taraweeh prayers, as a similar attack can happen at any time and we need to be vigilant at all times.
Also, there has been widespread of biased reporting from the media relating to the incidents in Finsbury Park last night. Let’s be clear that the incident was a terrorist & Islamophobic attack specifically targeting Muslims. It was not accidental and this should have been reported by the news agencies right from the start.
Points of action for Mosques:
1. Get in touch with local policing teams for support and visible presence, especially for the last week of Ramadan
2. If not done so, install CCTV cameras for the interests of safety and deterrence of further crime
3. Deploy a team of volunteers at your local Mosque to manage the safety of the Musallees
4. Encourage the locals to travel to and from the Mosque safely and to remain vigilant and alert especially whilst crossing roads, especially sisters and children
5. Remind the Musallees to park their cars safely and legally in Mosque car parks/on roads, as the obstruction of another neighbour’s driveway/ allocated parking space can spark an unnecessary confrontation and damage our relations with the wider community
Lastly, we need to work together with local authorities to help strengthen and protect our communities even more, especially during these testing and challenging times.
It has been a challenging Ramadan for us all in the UK, especially in London. Let’s work together and unite to help our communities.
If we can be of any help or offer support/guidance to any Mosques/Community Centres, please feel free to contact us through the relevant contact details provided below.
May The Almighty accept our efforts during Ramadan and enable us to always remain strong, patient and steadfast during times of immense hardships and difficulties.
Wa ‘Alaikumussalam Warahmatullahee Wabarakatuh
Qari Is’Haaq Jasat
National Huffadh Association UK
For latest updates, follow us on social media: